Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is a temporary work authorization for international students who hold an F-1 visa and who have been enrolled full-time in a college-level degree program for at least one academic year. Both undergraduate and graduate students can use CPT for an internship or co-op experience that is directly related to their major or field of study. International students are expected to review the detailed CPT information on our website and be familiar with the specific steps they must complete for the application process.

As an employer who is considering hiring an international student for an internship or co-op experience, you should be aware of the timeframes in which international students may work and what information they will require from you in order to apply successfully for CPT.

Work Timeframes

International students have more specific timeframes in which they may work than domestic students do:

  • International undergraduate students may complete internships during summer semesters only; they may complete co-ops (e.g., one or more rotational experiences) during either one fall or one spring semester plus a summer semester. For example, students may work spring/summer, summer/fall, or fall/following summer. They may not work for both a fall and a spring semester.
  • International graduate students have more flexibility about when they may work.

Offer Letter Requirements

Offer letters for international students must meet specific requirements for CPT, per the Directorate of International Student and Scholar Advising (DISSA) at Penn State.

In addition to being issued on official employer letterhead, they must contain all of the following:

  • Job title (e.g., Software Engineering Intern)
  • Name of the company or organization, including street address, city, state, and zip/postal code
  • Exact start and end dates of employment (must be 12–15 weeks in either the fall or spring semesters or 10–12 weeks in the summer)
  • Number of hours the student will work per week (must be 20–40 hours); "part-time" or "full-time" are not sufficient
  • Whether the student will work 100% on-site, 100% virtually, or a combination of on-site and virtual work; as of summer 2020, all students intending to work on-site for academic credit—which international students are required to do—must complete an exception form to request permission to do so from their college

Students also require a detailed description of the specific tasks they will be doing on the job; this may either be included in the offer letter or provided as a separate job description. Please note that students' work tasks must be related to their major.

Once they have obtained these materials, students must request CPT online and it must be issued by DISSA, a process that may take up to three weeks. Once CPT has been approved, students will receive a new I-20 and may begin their internship or co-op experience. You should communicate with individual students about onboarding and expectations in the first days and weeks of work.

For any questions about CPT, please contact Carmen Bilén, Associate Director, Engineering Career Resources & Employer Relations.


Engineering Career Resources & Employer Relations

College of Engineering

117 Hammond Building

The Pennsylvania State University

University Park, PA 16802-4710

Phone: 814-863-1032